Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The start of a change.

This is a true story. It happened to a friend of a friend of mine.

Familiar? LOL it was from TV3's Freaky Story :) Remember? No? Nevermind. Ok here's my story.


I used to have this friend, her name is *Kara. She was really nice to me when everybody else wasn't. She was the one who came up to me and told me that I own a cute backpack (Barbie was a hit back then). We became friends, eat together, joke around, laughed our ass off - do everything together.

Here's the thing. She's a beautiful being and at that time, I was a hideous looking kid. I had a skin condition, acne prone skin that is. By the time I hit puberty, my face is covered in red bumps and disgusting puss-filled cysts/acne/zit/pimple whatever you call it. And my hair? My head is basically the dandruff factory. I remembered not wanting to go to school. I remembered crying every night because it hurt. I was afraid of my own reflection.

But *Kara, being the sweetheart that she is, didn't care about how disgusting my face looked like. She didn't even mind giving me a peck on my cheeks! That was a big deal to me. From that moment, we became best friends.

Little did I know, she wasn't who I thought she were. Sure she's sweet, pretty, caring and loving but there's this part of her that was super envious and it got to the point where it's pretty much destructive. She said I can't have pretty things. I saved some of my daily pocket money given from mum to buy this cute Roxy pencil case I've been dying to have. So I bought it and told her about it. 

I expected that high-pitched scream we tend to make but all that came out was a 'hmmph'. I asked her what's wrong and she said nothing. The only thing that's wrong was my choice of pencil case. She said it was the ugliest thing she ever set her eyes on and threw my pencil case across the room. It hit the white board and all my things came out flying.

I was beyond shock. I collected all my stuffs and just walk away. I should stand up to her but I didn't. I don't know why I didn't. I still don't know why.

Things could only get better right? Wrong. It got worse. Whenever I splurge in something new, she would make nasty remarks about it. "Eww what are you? 35?", "It makes you look even uglier", "I didn't know your taste was that low" and etc. Sure it made me sad but she was my only friend. I was young and naive and what not.

And then there were the boys. I was never that crazy about them. Heck, I hated them! Boys that age were obnoxious and irritating and they called me the 'burnt girl'. I know they were scared of my face. Some of the girls said that if you were anywhere near me, you'd be infected too. I didn't care. I had *Kara by my side, even though she did a lot of things to me. Mean things.


So there was this boy. This one boy that swept me off my feet. He wasn't a heartthrob or anything. He was just this... boy. *Kara hated him because he said hi to her and to *Kara, no one can say hi unless she said hi first. So yes, she knows that I had a crush on that boy. I didn't ask her to say anything to him. She did. She told the boy that I was so crazy about him. That boy, *Alan kept his distance from me. Gee thanks *Kara!

A couple of weeks passed by and I already moved on and everything went back to normal, whatever normal was. It was a good day, just me and *Kara exchanging secrets and boy crushes and we talked about everything. Cheeky *Kara had to misbehave and took *Alan's things - his cap, his pencil case, even his handkerchief. I don't know how she did it but she did.

I told her to return all those things but she was even more stubborn than a mule. You know what she did?

She told *Alan that I was the one who took his stuffs, since I was the one that had a crush on him. He came up to me and started yelling. I was speechless. I wanted to say something but I couldn't. I literally couldn't! My breath was caught and I was so embarrassed. I didn't cry. I wanted to hit both he and *Kara on the face.

And that's what I did. I punched *Alan's nose and slapped *Kara's pretty face and told her how much she hurt me from all her commentaries about everything. I told her what a shitty friend she was. Guess what? She just laughed. She FUCKING LAUGHED! And then came the painful truth:

"Oh my poor Mia. Did you really think that I was your BFF? Seriously? Wow. FYI, I never liked you. I gagged at the sight of you. I thought I would die when I gave you that halfhearted peck on your disgusting cheeks. You remember, don't you? Because you're pathetic. How can you possibly think that someone like ME would wanna be friends with someone like YOU? You smelled of death and you just suck. No wonder you didn't have any friends. I was just testing you. Oh and how I got my hands on *Alan's stuffs? Easy. He's my BOYFRIEND now. He wasn't my type, look at his face! Ew. He only became my boyfriend because you were so into him and I thought, 'Hey, let's teach Mia a lesson!'. Someone like you shouldn't date anyone. Stupid, ugly, gross. You shouldn't even be ALIVE... "

There were more but I couldn't type them down. It was too painful. Still sting a little. It was probably the biggest slap of truth.

That's the end of it. We stopped being friends, I consulted some skin specialists without my parents knowing, went to a high-end salon... I recreated myself.

*Kara and *Alan broke up. He saw the different me and he didn't recognize me. That skeez had the balls to ask me out. Of course I said no, though I planned to make him my puppet, but I didn't. I'm not *Kara.

Everything turned out well a couple of years later. I have friends that love me and an amazing boyfriend that would take a bullet for me. They mended me and made me this wonderful person I am now :) 

Sure I've earned some haters but I think that's the least of my problems. You don't know what I've been through. This is just one story.

I feel exposed HAHAHAHA. Have a great day everybody. Don't ever let anyone do this to you. Speak up.


*names have been changed to protect privacy.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Macam dlm American teenage movies! I guess that's the pattern. The bully must have those to be bullied. Proud of you for speaking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Mia! I love your story.. Really touched me alot.. Kecian u dulu.. If only I can remember.. saya dulu2 like to be alone and tidak pernah ada kwan rapat.. until now even if I have lots of friend still I'm alone..

    ReplyDelete
  3. V : One of the toughest and roughest moments in my entire existence. but thank you :')

    Sharon : Yeah I feel you babe. I guess what you need is not a lot of friends, it's probably just 1 or 2 close friends that you can really trust. but it's okay, i'm always here for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hurm.. I think so..haha..thank you mia... :)

    ReplyDelete