Friday, March 15, 2013

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Witnessed something quite incredible yesterday. I went to this restaurant, alone. Both phone ran out of batteries so while waiting for the food, I observed.

To my left, a father and his daughter, about fifteen or sixteen years of age ordered only drinks. Hot tea for the father and lychee iced tea for the girl. They looked... poor. Father's shirt and pants were torn, badly, that they look like the kain buruk I have at home. Girl's clothes were merely pasar malam material. I'm not dissing, note that.

The girl then asked the father for tomorrow's pocket money. The father, slowly opened his wallet and took out RM 20 note and said, "spend it wisely, sayang". To my astonishment, the girl made a face... one that needs a tight bitch slap. 

She said, "Twenty ringgit?! That's all?! What can that much of money do?!". 

(Do note that I'm at a state where you can get a fulfilling meal at only RM 3, nice tees at only RM 5)

I noticed that the father's expression went dark. He looked so sad I nearly cried myself. Again, he pulled out his well-aged wallet and gave her his last 50 ringgit note. I noticed that he had about two or three of them 1 ringgit notes left, to pay for their drinks, I guess. His wallet was so old it's almost transparent. I can even see his Bank Islam card and his IC.

After receiving RM 70, the girl smiled so sweetly it broke my heart. She called her friend (or boyfriend, I can't tell) and said "I've got the money. Let's go out and have fun tonight. Karaoke?" loudly, and left.

The father just sat there and stared at nothing in particular. His tea was untouched. It looked like he aged 5 years, I don't know. He was more hunched than before. His expression was really, really, really sad. I feel like hugging that old man.

The father went to pay for the drinks and left on his bicycle. BIFREAKINGCYCLE! 

I was holding my tears back. God I'm so emotional these days.



That's one story. There's another one and it happened at the same place but this time, they were sitting to my right.

A family of five, the parents, two pretty girls and one uber cute boy about six years old.

I assumed that they're on the better side of life. They were nicely dressed. One of the girls wore a Forever 21 top (I noticed because I was dying to have that one but my mum wouldn't let me since it's too expensive). The other girl uses an S3 mini, the boy wore Quiksilver Kids. Their car's gorgeous. BMW 5 series, black. 


Yes, I noticed all this. I was alone and my phones died on me and my food was taking too long. What else was I gonna do?


They ordered the tom yam set and other side dishes. They ate a lot for a family of five. I was envious because I was so damn hungry!

And then my food arrived.



Back to my point.

The family and I, we ate well. Hahaha. I stayed a little longer. The boy followed the dad to the cashier. I was right behind them. Dad took out a hundred ringgit bill and got back a ringgit and a few coins. 



Again, I was surprised. 



The little boy asked the dad, politely, for the balance. The dad said, "But it's not much". 

The boy replied, "It's nothing much now but in time, I'll collect enough money to treat you, mum and kakak to delicious meals just like these. You always bring us to nice places and I feel bad I couldn't bring you anywhere for I am still a little boy".

I swear, if I wasn't thinking straight, I'd hug the boy so tightly and tell the dad "you did well". It was so beautiful I choked.

The dad smiled so widely, ruffled the boys hair and they left. Hand in hand. 


I just witnessed one... no, two of life's greatest moments. I felt so sad in one and so happy and proud in the other. To those who are sexists, get a grip. I'm a girl myself, why would I wanna make girls look bad? This is bigger than that.

When the younger ones are way smarter, way more considerate than the older ones...

And just yesterday I posted about wanting money for clothes... *major facepalm*


Wow.


1 comment:

  1. This is indeed inspiring and touching. My heart goes to the father of the girl. May God bless him always.

    ReplyDelete